Fairfax County NAACP
News for You
- General Membership Meeting – March 10
- Black History Month Celebration Recap
- FY 2019 Fairfax County Advertised Budget
- NAACP Membership Dues Renewal
- Women’s History Month Celebration – March 17
- School Resource Officers (SRO) Program
- Fairfax NAACP Committee Meetings
- EMBODI Youth Enrichment Program – March 17
- New Member Orientation – March 24
- NCBW Annual Sisterhood Luncheon – March 24
Black History Month Celebration
In February we celebrated Black History Month as well 100 years of the NAACP’s existence in Fairfax County when coupled with our predecessor, the Falls Church NAACP. During the month we were honored to receive formal recognition by the county Board of Supervisors and the School Board commemorating this historic milestone.
We held our 2018 Black History Month Celebration on Saturday, February 24, at the Fairfax County Government Center. The event was attended by more than 200 attendees including numerous local, state and national leaders. We heard inspirational messages from Congressman Gerry Connolly who also presented the branch with a resolution passed by the U.S. Congress to commemorate the anniversary, Commonwealth of Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring, Delegate Marcia Price, Chairman Sharon Bulova, Edwin Henderson from the Tinner Hill Heritage Foundation, and our keynote speaker NAACP Virginia State Conference President Kevin Chandler. We were uplifted with performances by the Mount Olive Baptist Church, Herndon Middle School Step Team, and the Anointed Vessels of Unity of George Mason University, and many more.